From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 17:22:41 -0500
Jim Wilford writes:

>The "music" we hear is a physical phenomenon.  There is no intrinsic
>meaning in it.  It has no intrinsic significance.  Meaning is a human
>construct which all human beings feel compelled to create and some, to
>impute.  It is entirely conceivable that on other planets and among alien
>civilizations this particular "music" could provoke an entirely different
>exercise in the creation or imputation of meaning.

The "music" we hear is created by physical entities known as "humans".
The "music" has intrinsic significance because "humans" created it, listen
to it, respond to it.  Of course it is a "physical" phenomenon, so what?
It is at best discouraging, at worst appalling to read communications from
"humans" who, in the face of all evidence, insist on treating music in the
positivistic hardboiled way that some scientists discuss science- just the
facts please, no values allowed.  When scientists like Richard Dawkins and
Steven Weinberg express themselves that way they are expressing attitudes
and biasses more than they are expressing their scientific insights.  All
the more so is it absurd and misleading to hear those interested in the
humanities speak in a similar spirit.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University