From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 23:08:29 +0200
Cris Bonds [[log in to unmask]] writes:

>The report I just received is that it's not the BPO but the Berliner
>Staatskapelle. Here is what one e-source said to try to get me to buy it:

Fully independent of if the recording is good or not: Will Barenboims new
Beethoven cycle sell? There have been made a great number of Beethoven
symphony cycle recordings, and many very good and from each other different
recordings, and many are in print. Those the label which sells the
Barenboim cycle can hope for as buyers; are the most devoted Beethoven
fanatics, who are so screwed up that they really need yet another cycle,
a few collectors, and first time buyers who by a random choses this cycle
among many others when they surf their CD store (and if it is expensive,
they will probably not choose this one). These datas make me question if it
will be very worthy to produce this cycle. Actually I hadn't expected new
Beethoven cycles to come for very long, and I was surprised when I heard
about Barenboims upcoming project some year ago.

Mats Norrman