From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Nov 2002 13:42:49 +0000
BBC Radio 3 did a Building a Library slot on Gurreleider recently.  The
top recording was Abaddo (despite a shrewish speaker), with Boulez at
midprice and the live EMI Forte as budget price top choice.

My favourite recording (Sinopoli)was dismissed as Moser was in fresher
voice for Rattle and "various other reasons" (not elaborated on).  I
love the Soinopoli for the volumtuous, dark conducting of Part 1 which
I do not find one moment too slow (a common criticism of this recording),
as there are no weak links in the soloists (Voigt is a bit steely but
she does a thrilling high B in her final song)and the simply stunning
playing of the Staatskapelle Dresden.  I have never enjoyed the Chailly
as the recording puts the soloists too upfront and the choir sound half
way down the street in the final sunrise.

Heger was praised for the clarity of conducting and sound quality.

I would love Gielen to record Gurrelider.

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK