From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 13:55:31 -0400
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>John Proffitt:
>
>>I will repeat an observation made earlier: the finest Harris recording
>>of recent times, IMO, is the David Allen Miller/Albany Symphony disc of
>>Symphonies 8 and 9, on Albany Records.  Recording, performance and--most
>>of all--interpretation and idiomatic "feel" for Harris are light years
>>ahead of what I hear from the Naxos disc.

>The Miller recording is a knockout.  I've reviewed it and it will appear
>here shortly.
>
>Now MILLER impresses me as a conductor.  Everything I've heard from him
>has been at least very good.  He's conducting in New Orleans next season,
>so lucky me.

I reviewed the Miller disc as well.  I liked it very much but the Kucher
really grabbed me at the core because of its breadth and what I heard
as the "Harris sound." The only symphony they had in common was the
Ninth, and as I said in the review, I thought Kucher caught the raw
quality of Harris more than the more refined, urbane Miller did.  But
if anyone thinks Miller's approach suits them better by all means, go
with it.  I liked Miller, but I loved Kucher. It spoke to me, particularly
in the Seventh, which along with the Third, Fifth (and maybe the Sixth!),
I think are the best of the Harris symphonies.  Frankly, Harris lovers
or those who want to be come such, should hear both.

Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>