From:
James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:54:03 +0200
Andrew Carlan <[log in to unmask]> tell us about poor Nielsens and
Beethovens:

>Poor Beethoven, he really did want to share love both as Eros and agape.
>His whole life was a search for the right musical expression of this love
>of women and mankind.  The Ninth is a noble failure.  For Beethoven it is
>maudlin and the last movement embarrassingly trite.

Not read Susan MacClary?

>Then he really heard Bach and Handel and found his language.  It began
>with the Eighth Symphony.

Take notice he composed the Eight before the Ninth.

>Although the Eighth is late, it is one of the shortest, because it is
>compressed and built on gestures rather than fully developed themes.

That is exactly why I like the 8.  so much, just for, and poor Beethoven
would turn in his grave when I say it; he composed like an aristocrat.
Like Glinka.  I have just listened to the 8.  so many times that I can
hardly stand it anymore - the same goes for Ludwig 3 and van Beethoven 6.
What do you think after the 150.  listening?

>The second and third periods overlap.  The Ninth Symphony looks back.
>The Beethoven symphony collapses in on itself.  In the Eighth, Beethoven
>took his symphonies as far as they could go.  No one since has produced
>a symphony as full of power and meaning so concisely as the Eighth.

That would be true for me if I could dedice for that I finally fully
understand the 9.

>Andrew E. Carlan
>Speaking up for Nielsen

James Zehm <[log in to unmask]>