From:
Juozas Rimas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:42:29 +0200
Don Satz wrote:

>But my best suggestion is not to get anyone's complete edition; I don't
>see how any of the three could possibly be fully satisfying.

I think there can be no complete Bach edition - not because new pieces will
be found but rather because the key to appreciate any music, in my opinion,
is to hear various interpretations.  It's great to find a seemingly perfect
rendition and listen to it dozens of times a year but you can never be sure
that you won't find a more interesting version someday.  Also, what about
finding different qualities in the same work performed on oboe/violin,
harpsichord/clavichord/lautenklavier, big orchestra/small orchestra, string
quartet/piano/organ etc

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/141/juozas_rimas.html