From:
Rodney Corkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 07:04:38 -0500
Joyce Maier wrote:

>Chacun a son gout.  I've heard the Graf present in the Beethoven-Haus in
>Bonn and I was not at all impressed.  Yet it is, they say, exactly the same
>as Beethoven's (also in the Beethoven-Haus, but not used for performances).

It was the most favoured Viennese piano in the 1820/30's.  I can tell
you the Graf is the number one preference for fortepianists playing
Beethoven.  I have heard a few originals and the sound is ideal as far as
I am concerned.  Perhaps this particular instrument was not in an ideal
condition also.  If you are expecting to hear a Steinway you will be
disappointed regardless - they are two totally different instruments
sonically and technically.

Rod