From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 09:13:45 -0500
Bert Bailey wrote:

>To get to the point: I'd appreciate hearing your recommended recordings
>of adaptations, orchestrations and transcriptions of Bach's music.

The Stokowski and Respighi orchestrations remain favorites for me.
The Webern transcription of the Ricercar is fascinating.  The Bach
variations by Dessau draws from JS and CPE (as I recall). I love that
piece.  Another favorite is an unrecorded piece by Foss, his Symphony
of Chorales.  Unlike his middle period works like another "Bach" piece
from his Baroque Variations, the Symphony of Chorales is neoclassic,
full of drive and brilliantly orchestrated...probably never recorded
since the last movement is a bit less engaging than the other movements.

For something delightfully outlandish...complete with, as I recall,
xylophone, is an orchestration by Henry Wood, available on a set from
the New York Phil...conducted by Toscanini.

And if you like your Bach jazzy...try Jacques Loussier and/or the Swingle
Singers and as I recall there might be an Alec Templeton piece or two
based on Bach.

I have countless "pop" arrangements of classical music...a favorite being
the Toccata and Fugue in d minor arranged for power tools...and then
there is Wendy Carlos and...somebody please stop me!

Karl