From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:25:12 -0400
Bert Bailey wrote:

>To get to the point: I'd appreciate hearing your recommended recordings
>of adaptations, orchestrations and transcriptions of Bach's music.

"Bach for Band," an early 70s compilation of arrangements made and
conducted by Gerallt Leslie Williams, with the London Symphonic Band
on Columbia/CBS.  Some of the works are The Usual Suspects: Toccata and
Fugue in D Minor, the "Little" Fugue in G Minor, Minuet in G, Ein Feste
Burg, the Sinfonia to Cantata 29, etc.

Especially in the transcribed organ pieces, the flavor is even a little
more bombastic than the fullblown orchestral transcriptions we're all
familiar with.  After all, we've got all the organ "stops" in play,
except that they're the genuine articles and powered by lungs rather
than bellows or pumps.

Not sure if there was ever a followup, or whether it was issued on CD.

Bill H.