From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:50:45 -0500
Ramon Khalona writes in response to me concerning the Delme Quartet's
performance of the Great Unfinished Fugue:

>>It's a wonderful performance.
>
>I am glad to hear this.  I ordered this through BMG and should be getting
>it any day now.

Although I don't want to burst any optimism concerning the Delme's
recording on Hyperion, I need to point out that, up to this point, I am
not as enamored with the other movements as I am with the Unfinished Fugue.
However, all my listening has been while driving, and that's not the 100%
concentration level needed.  Excuses, excuses - I'm loaded with them.

Ramon also wrote concerning the Keller Quartet recording on ECM:

>I can see how period instruments people might love this, but the majesty
>of Bach is just not there for me.

I'm not so sure that period instrument fans would likely enjoy the Keller
Quartet's recording, since the group did not use period instruments.  There
were times in the recording where the modern strings were problematic for
me as they assumed a romantic tone.

>Have you heard the recording for Saxophone Quartet?  And Bill Malloch's
>"Art of Fuguing".

I remember the Malloch issue being released about ten years ago, but I
never did hear it.  Is the cd still in print? Concerning the Saxophone
version, I believe that's on MDG and performed by the Colfax something or
another.  It's sitting on the shelf at one of the local stores.  I've been
pondering purchase, but an all-saxophone version has me somewhat skeptical
and the cover is ugly as hell - some bald guy who looks like he's wearing
an undershirt and is ready to fix the toilet.  He gives the appearance of
a man who would be holding a plunger, not a saxophone.  Who thinks up these
covers? Anyways, I'll probably buy it now that Ramon has spoken highly of
it.

Don Satz