From:
Angelo Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2001 18:31:10 -0400
Dear Listeners, We're happy to report that the winner of the Van Cliburn
International Piano Competition will be joining Fred in Studio 4A on
Thursday for a live recital.  Also ahead this week, Terry Teachout presents
his perspective on whether Wagner's music should be played in Israel.  (A
performance of Wagner planned for this summer was cancelled after public
outcry.) And on Flag Day, we'll be celebrating our National Anthem.

I hope you can tune in,

COMING UP ON NPR's PERFORMANCE TODAY
JUNE 9 - JUNE 15, 2001

KORVA COLEMAN IS HOST

Saturday, JUNE 9

Hour 1 -- Period performance Bach: Violinist Monica Huggett is an expert in
playing music in an historically-informed way.  We'll hear her lead the
group she founded, the Ensemble Sonnerie, in concert at the Bremen Music
Festival in Germany.  Plus, the Bach Double Concerto in concert from the
Spoleto Festival USA, going on right now in Charleston, South Carolina.

Hour 2 -- A Van Cliburn Finalist: Russian pianist Maxim Philippov joins the
Takacs Quartet for a chamber music performance from the Van Cliburn
International Piano Competition in Fort Worth.  They play the Piano Quintet
by Brahms.

Sunday, JUNE 10

Hour 1 -- Mostly Mozart: The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra plays Mozart's
"Jupiter" Symphony at Meyerhoff Symphony Hall.  And distinguished pianist
Alfred Brendel plays a Mozart Adagio in Michigan.

Hour 2 -- Performance Today Piano Showcase: The gold medallist of the Van
Cliburn International Piano Competition in Fort Worth will be announced
tonight.  This hour, we'll hear performances by two of the six competitors
still in the running.  Pianist Antonio Pompa-Baldi gets assistance from the
Takacs Quartet in Schumann's Piano Quintet and Olga Kern performs two
Schubert Impromptus.

FRED CHILD IS HOST

Monday, JUNE 11

Hour 1 -- And the winner is....: The 11th Van Cliburn International Piano
Competition ended Sunday night in Fort Worth, Texas.  We'll hear the gold
medalist play a concerto from the final round.  And music critic Wayne Lee
Gay reflects on the final days of the competition.

Hour 2 -- Bartok in Atlanta: Bela Bartok was fading away in a hospital when
the conductor Serge Koussevitsky persuaded him to write what many consider
his best piece, the Concerto for Orchestra.  The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
plays Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra in concert in Atlanta.

Tuesday, JUNE 12

Hour 1 -- Wagner in Israel: Recently, organizers of the Israel Arts
Festival cancelled a performance of Richard Wagner's Die Walkuere because of
pressure from outraged Holocaust survivors living in Israel, as well as
government officials.  Critic Terry Teachout examines why Wagner stirs up
such passions in Israel.

Hour 2 -- Coming to Terms with the best seats in the house: Miles Hoffman
joins Fred to discuss how to choose seats when you're going to a concert.
Wednesday, JUNE 13
Hour 1 -- Sarah Chang has a "Carmen" Fantasy: When she was nine years old,
Sarah Chang recorded Pablo de Sarasate's "Carmen" Fanstasy on her
quarter-sized violin.  She's twenty now, and she recently played the same
piece in concert with the Philadelphia Orchestra.  Sarah Chang joins Fred to
introduce the performance and explain what it was like to grow up in the
public eye.
Hour 2 -- Musical offerings: We'll hear a sampling of music performed in
concert.
Thursday, JUNE 14
Hour 1 -- The "Star Spangled Banner" has been the inspiration for all kinds
of musical makeovers.  We'll hear some of them this hour as Fred presents a
special Flag day tribute to our national anthem.
Hour 2 -- The Van Cliburn International Piano Competition Gold Medallist
LIVE in NPR's Studio 4A: Fred welcomes this year's Van Cliburn winner into
Studio 4A for his/her first public performance since the competition ended
on Sunday night.
Friday, JUNE 15
Hour 1 -- Song of the hermit thrush: Piano Today columnist and keyboard
gumshoe Joseph Smith introduces a charming piece by American composer Amy
Beach called "A Hermit Thrush at Morn."
Hour 2 -- A selection of recent concert performances from the United States
and abroad.

CHECK OUT THE NEW PERFORMANCE TODAY WEBSITE!!: Check out our coverage of
the 11th Van Cliburn International Piano Competition....Read Steve Metcalf's
essay about what we can learn from Charlotte Church and Andrea Bocelli....
Listen to pianist Angela Hewitt play Bach.... Get up-to-date on the latest
additions to the PT Basic Record Library....Order your copy of "Peter and
the Wolf: A Special Report." You'll find it all at
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/.

PT EXCLUSIVE: Meet our latest PT Young Artist in Residence, pianist Jeremy
Denk at the link below:
http://www.npr.org/programs/pt/news/features/denk.interview.html.

NOTE: SCHEDULE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE.  FOR EXACT BROADCAST TIMES, CONTACT
YOUR LOCAL PUBLIC RADIO STATION, GO TO OUR WEBSITE, OR CALL PERFORMANCE
TODAY AT (202) 513-2370.

Don Lee
Executive Producer
NPR's Performance Today