From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:34:21 +1000
The latest release in Richard Hickox's cycle of the Vaughan Williams
symphonies for Chandos has the Symphony #3, The Running Set, and the
Norfolk Rhapsodies Nos 1 and 2.  The interest for those of us who love
their VW is the premiere recording of the 9-minute second Norfolk Rhapsody
- I knew there were two others apart from the well-known #1, but had
thought them to have been withdrawn and thus unrecorded:  not so, just
unpublished, according to Grove.  Chandos has cunningly put a gorgeous
1:20 clip from this work on their website (http://www.chandos.co.uk).
Buying this CD is an expensive way for VW fans to acquire some new music,
but it occurs to me that Hickox will probably record the third rhapsody
and Chandos might eventually issue the fillers for the symphonies on
one or more separate CDs, as they've done for some other cycles.  In
the meantime, that 1:20 is well worth a listen.

Richard Pennycuick