From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 12:12:26 -0400
Ok, I'll play.

The second movement of Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances has a twisty- turny
melody and when I first heard it, I tried to whistle it and kept getting
tangled up.  I got fixated on it, finally was able to sing along, and have
never gotten tired of it.

I have written on this forum about my love affair with the Cavatina from
Prince Igor. It is positively delicious.

A few piano pieces have remained my favorites for decades. The first one
that leaps into my mind is the Grieg Lyric Piece, Book 8, Op. 65, Wedding
day at Troldhaugen. It bears a striking resemblance to the March of the
Siamese Children from King and I, and if I'm in a certain mood, both can
give me goosebumps.

Another favorite piano piece is the Op.40 #2 Chanson Triste by Tchaikovsky.
It is very short, and very simple.  I have always been fascinated by the
bassline.  Moves by step most of the time.  In the third phrase it moves
sometimes by step and sometimes chromatically, and always ascends.  Tears
me up.

That reminds me:  I can enthusiatically recommend one of the biggest and
best musical bargains I know.  There is a set on Voxbox of the complete
piano music of Tchaikovsky played by Michael Ponti...  five cds.  The
fifth cd also has a good performance of the Violin Concerto performed by
Aaron Rosand.  Comes in two volumes.  Even if you think you don't like
Tchaikovsky because you find him over-emotional (not I!) try his piano
works...  you will be pleasantly surprised.  Those of you who enjoy
Stravinski's Fairy's Kiss will have many "ahah" experiences noticing the
origins of Igor's creation.

The opening chorus of the fifth sacred cantata of J.S.  Bach (Wo sol ich
fliehen hin) is another favorite.  I love the rhythm of it ...  it just
keeps rolling along!  I can't stand the words, because they don't seem to
match up with the optimistic and joyful feeling of the music, so I just
ignore them.  The words are "Whither shall I flee/ Because I am burdened/
With many and great sins?/ Where shall I find rescue?/ If all the world
came here, / it would not take away my fear.  " YUK.  Forget it.  The music
itself is robust and unafraid.  It bounces.  It doesn't hide.  It's
syncopations tease and delight.

The Bartok Concerto for Orchestra, second movement " Giuoco delle coppie"
starts out like a demented rollcall for Noah's Ark. Instruments march along
in couples but in separate keys. Sounds fabulous and funny.

Last but certainly not least is the first movement of the underplayed
Symphonia Concertante for violin, cello, oboe, bassoon and orchestra in B
flat Major. It's a gem! In fact the entire work is wonderful (as is the
case with all the works I've mentioned above). But this piece especially
has all the elements I enjoy about chamber music, the intimacy, the
dialogues, the clarity of part, AND it also has the wonderful sound of a
symphony orchestra. Terrific work.  Should be in everyone's collection.  I
got mine through Berkshire Record Outlet, and it came with a cd video that
I have no idea how to use. The cd itself also contains the Farewell
symphony. A good buy. (haha).

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>