From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 07:28:50 PST
Two days ago I initiated this thread about my wife's reaction to finding
my new cd's in her closet.  Yesterday also presented a sticky situation.
I generally get home from work before my wife and go through the mail, but
she beat me home yesterday.  When I entered the kitchen, there were three
boxes from CDNOW on the counter.  As I started opening them, my wife came
in and asked if she could see what I bought.

Her attention appeared riveted on a big cd box which contained Herreweghe's
new St.  Matthew Passion.  She looked it over and asked, "Didn't I hear you
talking to a friend about 2 weeks ago concerning how great that guy's St.
Matthew Passion is? How could you have known that without having the set
already?" I informed her that this was Herreweghe's 2nd recorded version of
the work.  "You have two versions from the same conductor?" We went on with
this line of conversation for a short time.  Finally, my wife said, "I hope
you don't have a 2nd wife somewhere, and please don't put those cd's in my
closet."

Sticking with closets, we're painting our bedroom closets, so I had to
remove from my closet all my cd's which are in the "dead-end" category.
I was amazed at how good some of those dead-end cds are and what led
me to put them away in the closet.  Among the large piles were the
Alban Berg/Beethoven string quartet recordings, Ostman's Don Giovanni,
Barenboim's Marriage of Figaro, Norrington's Beethoven symphony series -
well, the list keeps going.

Great music, a great spouse, great children and grandchild, a great
discussion site - I am a fortunate man.  Is it luck, destiny, or good
decision-making?

Don Satz