From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:13:03 +0000
   Johann Sebastian Bach(1685-1750)
        Selected Organ Works

Toccata & Fugue in D minor, BWV 565
Concerto in A minor, BWV 593
Piece d'orgue, BWV 572
Fugue in G minor, BWV 578
Prelude & Fugue in B minor, BWV 544
"Watchet auf, ruft uns die Stimme", BWV 645
Toccata & Fugue in F major, BWV 540

Amadis 7144
Recorded: May 1994
Christ Episcopal Cathedral, Indianapolis
Julia Brown, Organ
TT 75:31

Summary Rating: A(includes price consideration)

I can't quite remember why this Amadis disc was in my memory when I saw
it at a local store for one-half the price of a Naxos CD. Probably, the
artist Julia Brown stuck in my mind since she performs on one of the three
organ discs of Scheidemann's organ music on Naxos.  At any rate, the low
price gave me the incentive to give the disc a trial run.

The disc is distributed by Naxos of America.  It's quite possible that
Naxos released the disc under its own name a few years ago, but it's just
as likely that it never saw the light of day until issued under the Amadis
label.  The main thing is that it costs next to nothing.

The liner notes don't provide any information except for a description
of each work on the program.  Although the recording location is given,
no information on the organ or Julia Brown is forthcoming.  Whatever the
specific organ, it sounds modern and fairly generic.  A better organ would
have lifted the rating to A+.

For this review, I first listened to some of my favorite versions of the
works on the program: Gustav Leonhardt for BWV 565 and 572, Karl Richter
for the Concerto in A minor, Gabor Lehotka for the Fugue in G minor, and
Lionel Rogg for the last three works on the program.  That was a great
listening experience, and following it up with about three hours of Julia
Brown wasn't far behind at all.

Brown's program is stacked with powerful works, and she fully delivers the
needed strength, majesty, and command of the life-force.  Her tempos can be
on the slow side, but she doesn't allow them to reduce the bite she applies
to the music.  The trait I most appreciate is a side-ways rhythm she often
employs; it's distinctive, very appealing, and does no damage to forward
momentum.

Two specifics I really love come from the Schubler Chorale BWV 645 and the
Toccata & Fugue in F major.  Brown's beginning to the F major is like being
shot out of a cannon; it reminds me much of Rogg's performance.  In the
chorale, Brown is one of the few to reach a true balance between the two
primary voices; it adds much to the conversational element.

Don's Conclusions: I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Julia Brown
disc to a seasoned collector as well as the novice.  That a recording
of such high quality can be had for a mere pittance renews my faith that
the captains of industry don't really know classical music or its audience.
On a more positive note, I urge you to check out Ms. Brown.  I obtained
my copy at a local store usually having nothing I want; the disc is also
available from CDNOW and likely other sites as well.

The supply of fine Bach organ recordings at low cost is a fine situation
for collectors.  With a primary emphasis on Wolfgang Rubsam for Naxos and
some additional discs like the Brown recording, a Bach enthusiast can have
all the organ works for less than the cost of four dinners at a fine
restaurant.

And I wasn't even thinking of the complete sets which often run for less
than ten dollars per disc.  I don't know if the best things in life are
free, but many of them are certainly economical.

Don Satz