From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 21:15:32 -0400
"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote:

>Mr. Tony Duggan writes:
>
>>Edward Moore writes:
>>
>>>My personal favorite of Mahler's is the 1st Symphony (the Titan).
>>
>>Leonard Slatkin has never recorded "The Titan" in spite of what his record
>>company say.  Like most other conductors he has recorded Symphony No.1.
>>There is currently only one recording of the work correctly called "Titan"
>>available.  Pedantic rant over.  ;-)
>
>Alright then, so, please tell us ignoramuses which is this "only one
>recording".  (Either I miss it or can't find the answer from your website.)

It looks like your question may have come after Tony shut down for the
night.  I'll take the liberty of assuming that he's talking about Ole
Kristian Ruud conducting the Norrkoping SO on Simax PSC 1150.  This CD,
which has taken some flak on the Mahler-List, is in my opinion a must-have
for Mahler enthusiasts.  Not only does it contain the only authentic Titan,
it also has Mahler's hard to find Piano Quartet fragment from 1876.  I
believe this has been recorded only one other time.

Mitch Friedfeld