From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:19:43 -0500
Aaron J Rabushka wrote:

>Yes, the Furtwangler/La Scala Ring cycle is a wonderful performance caught
>up in disastrously murky sound. Still a great way to find out what all the
>fuss over the Ring is about!

I suppose so.  The sound is tolerable, good in spots but certainly murky
in others.  But what bothers me is the indiscriminate chopping of scenes
simply (I suppose) to fit the cycle onto 12 discs.  If you don't know the
Ring well, and I don't, it's far from obvious that a disc has ended rather
than started all over again.  The voices just drop, to be picked up with
little dramatic logic on the next disc -- if you're alert enough to keep
the same disc from starting again at track 1!

Mitch Friedfeld