From:
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 13:35:20 +0200
My remark of hating Beethoven was, although I mean it seriously, primarely
intended to find out of more people share my view, there were some, to my
surprise, mine is apparently not a "vox clamantis in deserto".  What struck
me really, was that many contributors thought, that my aversion can be
cured by a Beethoven Diet, be it symphonies or chamber music.  Let me tell
you, that I am going to concerts for over 40 years already, and that I have
had my more than fair share of the Deaf one with his nephew, I participated
as a clarinet player in performances of the first two symphonies, and I
played some of his chamber music.  What annoys me in the music, is that
Beethoven never seems to be able to finish a frase or a motive, they all
lead nowhere.  Let me give you one example.  Take the beginning of the
third pianoconcerto.  Yes, I know the piece.  After the first few measures,
the music comes to a full stop.  If we compare this beginning with the one
of Mozart's" c minor, then you see what I mean, Mozart's melody doesn't
stop suddenly, but moves forcefully on and on.  In Mozart's music scales
are for me an integral part of the melodic development, in Beethoven's
scales make on me the impressions of "fillers", which makes the music sound
cheap.  In my concert going years I must have heard the Emperor, the
Pastorale, the violin concerto and the Fifth at least five or six times.
That is another cause of my aversion (or hate), Beethovens domination of
the concert programs.  There are more beautiful symphonies.  I have never
heard the Berwald symphonies played in the concert hall, and hardly ever
the Sibeliuses, or the VW's.  The other year we had a rare happening at a
concert in my home town, The Hague, where Stephen Hough was playing, no not
Beethoven,'s but Scharwenka's fourth pianoconcerto'.  That was really a
memorable experience.  There are so many beautiful pianoconcerto's, who has
ever heard Raff's c minor concerto played at a concert? Tours,

Peter Wisse