From:
Peter Wisse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 11:22:32 +0200
Didrik Schiele wrote:

>I don't understand the point in listening to a composer who nobody else
>takes interest in

This rather narrowminded statement cries for an answer.  The point is,
that there are many "unlistened to" composers, who nevertheless wrote
good music.  A good example is a composer, already mentioned in this list:
Geirr Tveitt.  In the early 70ties nobody ever listened to Scharwenka or
Alkan., both of which are now abundantly recorded on CD.  The other day
I borrowed a CD from the library with music (among which a charming
pianoconcerto) by the Swedish composer Ruben Liljefors, living at the turn
of the 19th century.  I found it often worthwhile to explore the unexplored
byways of musical history, and ever so often I discovered real gems.  One
of them is E.G.Uuno Klami.

Peter Wisse