From:
David Runnion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:18:55 +0200
Ray Stamford wrote:

>Could some kind person please identify this work (it may be in G/E min.)
>with opus no. etc and give me the number of a CD which contains it.  ...

I asked some organ experts on another list, and submit the following, hope it
helps:

Josef Rheinberger (1839 - 1901) was the one composer of note to come out of
the Principality of Liechtenstein, although he spent most of his adult life
in Munich.  (His mother came from the Romansch-speaking canton of Grisons
in Switzerland.)

The Passacaglia for organ is a movement from his Organ Sonata No. 8 in E
Minor, op. 132, composed in 1882.  He wrote 20 organ sonatas altogether
--- although they are really suites, rather than sonatas in the classical
sense.  He also wrote two concertos for organ and orchestra.  In addition,
he composed four sonatas for piano, several orchestral and chamber works,
Masses and much sacred music, of which the Requiem is occasionally still
performed today.

He was a professor of music at the Munich Conservatory and his many pupils
included Humperdinck (of Hansel and Gretel fame), Wolf-Ferrari (Italian
opera composer), American composers Horatio Parker and George Chadwick
(head honchos on the American music scene in their time), and
conductor/composer Wilhelm Furtwangler.

Rheinberger's Organ Sonata No.8 is listed in the British Catalogue on the
following three CD releases:-

(Eye) EOS5003.
(Amph) PHICD131.
(Mote) CD11491 (Gramophone Review date for this one is August 1991).

Dave Runnion
http://mp3.com/serafinotrio