From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:59:16 GMT
David Harbin writes concerning his purchase of the late quartets from the
Budapest on Sony:

>Perhaps I stumbled on a good version the first time around (would be
>surprising knowing my luck in buying CD's).

David's luck has certainly changed.  The Budapest recordings are excellent,
and many consider them among the best.  David also mentioned the Vegh
and Alban Berg sets; those are also must-buys.  I'd just like to add the
Lindsays whose first movement of Opus 127 is transcendent for me.  Also, I
heard recently that the Lindsays are going to record the Beethoven quartets
all over again; given that their first cycle isn't exactly ancient, I do
wonder about these types of recording decisions.  I'd like to hear a Spohr
cycle from them.

Don Satz