From:
Tim Dickinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:57:15 -0400
Jeffrey S. Hall wrote:

>I know what you are talking about.  As a relative newbie to CM (4 years),
>I listen to very little Bach.  I know, I know, this is sacrilege.  But I
>_love_ melody, and Bach just doesn't do it for me (not yet).

A memorable thought from Rostropovich's notes to his recording of the
Cello Suites (I can't cite it as my copy of the CD booklet somehow
disappeared) said something to the effect that:

If you encounter some of Bach's music which is not characterized by its
oustanding melody/melodies, then he obviously had other musical purposes
in mind - Bach has demonstrated that he was more than capable of writing
a memorable tune when he so desired.  The rewards of such music are to
be found in identifying and focusing on what Bach was trying to achieve
- whether it is in the use of harmony, rhythm, or whatever.

Keeping this simple advice in mind has enhanced my listening of Bach and
other composers. If someone can post the exact quote I'd appreciate it
given my certainly mangled paraphrase (and I don't intend to repurchase
this two CD set just to get the booklet!).

Tim Dickinson
http://www.tdware.com