From:
Gerhard Griesel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:31:12 -0700
On Thursday evening I travelled from Pietermaritzburg to Durban to attend
a concert by the KwaZulu-Natal Philharmonic Orchestra (www.kznpo.co.za).
The overture was the 1812.  This is the first time a have attended a
live performance of this work.  Wow!  (Five french horns, bells, two
bass drums, etc.) After Khatchaturian's violin concerto, they performed
Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances.  This work was new to me, although I
seem to have a piano duet version (Ashkenazy - Previn) on CD.  I was
spellbound from the first note.  What a spectacular work. There is a
saxophone (which plays too little), a piano, harp, bells and a gong. The
tambourine plays a prominent part, and often gets turned over and tickled
on its tummy.

The Kznpo is a medium-sized orchestra which produces consistent top
quality music.  I especially appreciate the tympanist, a young lady who
plays with gusto, verve and confidence.  If any of you guys ever visit
Durban, try to see and hear her.

(I am a free-range widower who has to search every time for a partner
to join me to concerts.  The lady who accompanied me last night was full
of praise for the orchestra - and me, of course)

Just a last thought: I always wonder what else Rachmaninov might have
produced had he not been forced to perform to make a living.

Gerhard
http://skoongrappies.com