From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 23:33:38 +0000
I've had a few Gramophone magazines sitting around unread, and I got to the
March issue over the weekend.  Always reading from front to back, it didn't
take long to reach the Editorial on Page 4 which covered Lief Ove Andsnes
and the "new look" that the magazine will have to coincide with its 80th
birthday.

I'd like to share a couple of sentences with you about the "new look":

   "Underlying our approach has been the acceptance that classical music
   is increasingly having to compete with other forms of music but also
   that a growing number of people have very broad musical sympathies.
   While our commitment to classical music remains paramount we're also
   going to take the opportunity to explore what we believe is "good"
   music in other fields, particularly in areas where different genres
   meet and cross-pollinate."

I was afraid something like this would happen.  When I hear "eclectic"
or "cross-pollinate" one time, the palms of my hands get damp.  A second
time, and my left eye starts twitching.  Lately, I've been hearing these
two terms quite a bit, so it seemed reasonable that something new would
come of it in the commercial world.

I can't say I appreciate the words used by the Editor of Gramophone.  He's
really telling us that he doesn't think the company can maintain or grow
profits unless it branches out.  That's fine - just tell it like it is
instead of using the world of nature to justify changes.

Thinking back, my wife and I watched a few weeks ago a tv program which
had a famous singer (Inja?) with orchestra singing some Beethoven piece
of music from a symphony; it wasn't the last movement of the 9th either.
Well, she took all the subtlety/contrast and kicked it out of the building,
giving us a smooth and always syrup-laden rendition perfect for those
who have trouble assimilating input.  I found it a little disgusting and
again I wonder why these artists don't exclusively create their own music.
Anyways, my wife wanted to let me know that the vocal version sure was
better than the original.  That's when I left the room; sometimes it's
better to take a hike than strike back at the one you love.  There is one
person in the performance world who we both have liked in the past; that
would be Al Stewart (not Rod or Jimmy Stewart).  My wife actually bought
a Rod Stewart disc, and I never thought I'd be in the same house with Rod.
Hey, everyone's entitled to his/her own space and preferences.  I just
feel like whining about it.  Who pays the mortgage around here? We do.

Don Satz