From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 07:45:16 +1000
Jan Templiner replying to Laurence Sherwood:

>>The New York Times has an article entitled "Mahler and the Lessor
>>Known Stars in His Universe" that is pertinent to this thread.  It
>>discussers Joachim Raff, Robert Fuchs, Hans Rott, and Franz
>>Schmidt, along with Zemlinsky, Volkmann, Bruch, and Richard
>>Strauss.  ...
>
>I may have misunderstood something here, but listing Richard Strauss
>among the "underperformed" composers.. I'm not sure whether that's
>reasonable.

The article focussed on the symphonies of those composers.  In Strauss's
case, the works in question were his early symphonies in D Minor and F
Minor, which can certainly be be described as "underperformed".

The article also suggested that the Zemlinsky symphonies conducted by
James Conlon might have been deleted.  I remember reading recently that
these had been re-released.

Richard Pennycuick