From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 21:46:40 -0400
Felix Delbrueck wrote:

>This is rather off on a tangent, but the fact that some space in this
>strand was given to the Brahms recordings of L'Archibudelli set me off
>on an associative train of thought:
>
>Now I found out that their recording of the sextets (to buy which I have
>now been tempted by Mimi Ezust's enthusiastic reccomendation, although I
>am sceptical about her rejection of the virtues of portamento)

Minor correction: portamento is attractive when used judiciously, and
so is vibrato.  It is an effect, an enhancement, a spice and not the main
meal.  I was objecting to its over-use or sloppy use.  It is a matter of
personal taste.  It can be most expressive when done properly.  I also
enjoy wildly romantic performances of the Sextets, but L'Archibudelli was
an ear-opener for me, and I like to listen to their interpretation again
and again.

>includes the cellist Jan Bilsma (sp.)

Anner Bylsma

I have heard him play the complete Bach cello suites twice, in concert,
while he was in residence at the university down the street, and I was
fortunate to attend his master classes as well.  Each time he played, it
was different, and each time he demonstrated a movement or even a portion
of a movement, it was as if he were talking to his cello and his cello was
telling him new and fascinating stories.

Bylsma is at home with all periods of cello playing, and all types of
performance from solo and chamber to large orchestra.  He is absolutely
superb.

Mimi Ezust