From:
David Bresch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2001 18:48:04 -0500
Dear List, I recently purchased the heavily cedar-ized re-issue of Enescu's
playing these works, extremely late in his career.

I played the Chaconne first (of course!) and I was shocked and
disappointed.  There is much out-of-tune playing to my ears.  But the rest
of the performances grow on me and I actually find the whole set quite
moving.  Even the Chaconne has grown on me and i seem to be bothered less
and less by the intonation and moved increasingly by the passionate tone
of Enescu's playing and his dramatic phrasing.

Can someone more knowledgeable than myself make remarks about Enescu's
performance and why the Chaconne seems to be most troubled by intonation
problems of all the movements?

David Bresch
Philadelphia