From:
Dick Claeys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:16:38 -0700
For Jeffrey Hall's interest in the orchestral versions of Liszt's
Hungarian Rhapsodies, I'd recommend the recent Philips CD by Ivan
Fischer, leading the Budapest Festival Orchestra.  It's straight from
headquarters--authentic, rollicking, and effervescent.  One critic said
it's "as spicy as goulash." As he did with his recording of Brahms'
Hungarian Dances, Fischer adds a cimbalom and local gypsy violinists for
some additional piquant effects.  And he really leans on tempi--stately
slow sections, and roller coaster finishes--with a wide dynamic range
to boot.  My previous exposure to these pieces was a DG set led by von
Karajan:  no contest, unless you like the "Hollywood on the Danube" surface
sheen applied to these works.  I never listened to it all the way through
and happily gave it away.

Gramophone gave the Fischer set 5 stars, and several other reviewers rated
it highly as well.  If you're game and ready to take a wild ride across the
Hungarian countryside, here's the number:  Philips 456 570-2

Enjoy!

Dick Claeys