For Jeffrey Hall's interest in the orchestral versions of Liszt's
Hungarian Rhapsodies, I'd recommend the recent Philips CD by Ivan
Fischer, leading the Budapest Festival Orchestra.  It's straight from
headquarters--authentic, rollicking, and effervescent.  One critic said
it's "as spicy as goulash." As he did with his recording of Brahms'
Hungarian Dances, Fischer adds a cimbalom and local gypsy violinists for
some additional piquant effects.  And he really leans on tempi--stately
slow sections, and roller coaster finishes--with a wide dynamic range
to boot.  My previous exposure to these pieces was a DG set led by von
Karajan:  no contest, unless you like the "Hollywood on the Danube" surface
sheen applied to these works.  I never listened to it all the way through
and happily gave it away.

Gramophone gave the Fischer set 5 stars, and several other reviewers rated
it highly as well.  If you're game and ready to take a wild ride across the
Hungarian countryside, here's the number:  Philips 456 570-2

Enjoy!

Dick Claeys