From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 15:35:41 PDT
For many weeks now I've been listening almost exclusively to Bach's music.
I don't know how much longer this will last, but I was curious if any other
list members have spent weeks on end listening to just one composer's
music.  What factors brought you to this regimen, and how did it end? I'm
not worried about listening to Bach; in fact, I'm enjoying it greatly -
just solo keyboard works.  However, trying to be more well-rounded is a
goal some people have favored for me - screw them.

Well, two new discs arrived at my home today, and they might turn the tide.
One is volume 2 of the Cherubini string quartets performed by the Quartetto
David on BIS; I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Melos on DG and
Hausmusik (period instruments) on CPO.  I believe the BIS recording is on
modern instruments.

The other arrival is a Signum disc of the Brahms string sextets performed
by Hausmusik London led by Monica Hewitt who might be a close friend of
Angela Huggett.  I have and love the period instrument recording by
L'Archibudelli on Sony.  Again, comparisons will be in order.

I've already put the BIS disc in my cd-rom and am listening to some
squirrelly first violin playing (one of the joys of going with modern
violins).  My equalizer on my main speaker system should erase that
problem.  One thing's for sure - Cherubini ain't Bach by a long shot.
But, Cherubini's a fine composer, and I very much like his string quartets.

Your constant Bach companion,

Don Satz