From:
Robert Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 1999 18:33:22 EST
BMG has not put the Colin Davis Sibelius Cycle into a box yet.  The
symphonies are available in the following couplings:  1 and 4; 7 and
Kullervo; 2 and 6; 3 and 5.  There is also a disc of tone poems.  The discs
containing the symphonies are marked DDD.  The tone poem set lists three
recording dates, 1992, 1994 and 1998 so I think we can safely assume the
recordings are DDD as well, probably done during left over recording time
of the symphony sessions.

The performances, IMHO, are quite powerful.  Tempos are well chosen
and Davis has a great ability to set forth the Sibelius mood without
unnecessary exaggerations.  The sound is good, too; it is close and
powerful, but not harsh.

I hope those that acquire all or parts of this cycle enjoy their listening.

Robert R. Palmer