From:
Jonathan Yoder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:15:44 -0600
Hello, friends of music -- I too share your concerns about "young persons"
who lack knowledge of and curiosity about the incredible history and
monumental sounds of "classical music".

Some thoughts:

I'm a "retired" college teacher.  Recently I had the chance to teach a
Humanities" class at a fine local comm.  college, which course focused
on the 20th century art and music.

Of course I was most happy to add lots of "classical music" info, examples,
etc.  and talk about them, probably ad nauseam for the students.  But I
think I connected with a few.

We need to be real music missionaries, if you will.

Third, although an old idea, maybe another term than "classical"?  I
don't know.

Tell you what.  Last evening I heard The Ten Tenors, in full formal
regalia, do opera, Queen, the BeeGees, Beach Boys.  Standing Os and
richly deserved.

No Mosh Pits (?), but a whale of a performance!  An example of possibilities
for "classical" musicians

jly