From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 22:00:56 +0100
Karl Miller  writes:

>...Some of the music for Close Encounters reminds me of the Penderecki
>oratorio, the Dies Irae....

...which in turn reminds me, somehow,  of  Faure's Requiem . More to the
point, Laurence  Galvin then writes:

>...Several years ago, the Boston Symphony Orchestra played the score
>to Prokofieff's "Alexander Nevsky" while the film was displayed on a
>screen above the musicians.  It was a very effective performance, and
>I understand other orchestras duplicated the feat....

That's more like what I had in mind.  No doubt it takes rehearsal time
to sync the music with what's showing on the screen.  Possibly, too, it
makes the conductor's and the musicians' tasks seem to them degraded by
the overloom of the pictorial display.But the purpose I had in mind,
namely to capture thereby a new, younger audience slice for the performance
of live art music might just justify this.  Mind you, it may well take
a more varied program than just one film to capture the interest of the
kind of attender I have in mind.  (Which, of course, adds to the complexity
of the enterprise.)

Denis Fodor