From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 09:21:42 -0500
Walter writes:

>Can somebody please explain forme what's wrong w/ Sibelius' Fourth
>Symphony? It has long been my favorite Sibelius symphony.

Not a thing, as far as I'm concerned.  In fact, I've read commentators
who think it the single greatest piece he wrote.  Perhaps Mr. Jarvlepp
is merely reporting Sibelius's own dissatisfaction with the work (I don't
whether Sibelius was indeed dissatisfied).  On the other hand, artists are
often bad judges of their own stuff.  And actually, Sibelius did use the
idiom again in the little-known but wonderful The Bard.

Steve Schwartz