From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:02:19 -0700
For the past year, I've (vocally) been so admiring Chailly's recordings
with them...  Mahler and Bruckner, plus the new Pagliacci.  I'm kinda
feeling now that, today there are of course many great orchestras in the
world (conductor irrespective), but when we're talking the "best", you come
down to 3...  The Berlin Philharmonic, the Vienna Philharmonic...  and the
Concertgebouw.

I think since Karajan's reign, the BPO has generally been considered the
"best." And the VPO has been touted as the "most refined" group.  I kinda
think the ranking should be reordered a bit to take into account the
Concertgebouw...

To me, the Concertgebouw really is the most beautiful sounding...  their
tone really glowing and luminous on their recordings.  Just their tone
alone is a big part for why I so like Chailly's Mahler 5, Bruckner 6,
and Pagliacci.  I think Chailly's Mahler 8 is deadly boring (mostly,
admittedly, because of the opening), but I'm sure thats all Chailly's
interpretative fault.

The BPO I think is something of a different beast...  While I still believe
the Concertgebouw to be the most beautiful, I think in depth, power, and
weight of tone the Berliners top them.  (My best example is Wand's most
recent recording of the Bruckner 4 with them...  awesome!) But, unlike the
Concertgebouw which I've never heard really put a foot wrong, in the wrong
hands at the wrong time, like a wild stallion, the BPO can get way out of
control and really end up bludgeoning a work to death.  (Ironically, my
prime example for this is Wand's recent Bruckner 5...  whoaaaaa boy!!;-)

Certainly the VPO is an amazing group, known for its "beauty." But in this
regard, I think it bettered by the Concertgebouw, while for power the BPO
is best.  But because of the BPO's slightly wild nature (like a touchy high
powered race car), if I were a conductor looking to sound like a genius...
but perhaps didn't have the utmost superhuman control and grip (and the
best have occasionally failed with the BPO because of this)...  I would
look to have the Concertgebouw as my instrument.

Albie