Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 May 2006 20:48:11 -0700
Iskender Savasir wrote:

>About the (post) romantic era (anthese are almost childhood reminiscences)
>I remember the Reger sonatas and those of Ysaye- again I don't have any
>recordings of those.

There are good recordings on ASV of the violin sonatas (not, alas complete)
and cello sonatas.  Avoid an Italian (label?) recording of the latter,
which sounds as if the player hadn't quite mastered the instrument.

You don't mention the Paganini Caprices?

BTW, there is a quite remarkable piece for solo violin by Harold Truscott
(on a Marco Polo disc of his chamber music) 9 minutes and only a single
double stop.

There's a ferocious sonata for solo cello by Kodaly: I have an acquaintance
who studied at the Liszt Academy in Budapest before the war.  For some
reason he had to play for Kodaly and, as he was a cellist (his main study
was composition though), K insisted on hearing the sonata.  My acquaintance
tried to get out of it, saying that K really didn't want to hear him
play it.

K insisted - and then agreed...

Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>