From:
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:03:51 +0100
November at Classical Music on the Web (UK)
http://www.musicweb.uk.net

October was another very busy month.

David Wright contributed two further biographies of William Mathias and Sir
Lennox Berkeley and Paul Conway contributed a fascinating interview with
the wife of the late Karl Rankl

Seen&Heard, under the guidance of Peter Grahame Woolf, were out seeing and
hearing Mahler symphonies, Handel's La Resurrezione, Tosca and Nabucco by
the Chisinau National Opera, Paul Simmonds in a Pedal recital, Zemlinsky's
second opera Es war einmal...  "Once upon a time", an Indian flute recital
and a visit to Musica99 the Spanish Festival held in France.

Tony Duggan has been putting his ear to Mahler's 'Song of the Earth' in his
continuing appraisal of the Mahler recording legacy.

On the CD review side we put in a special effort for the Chandos
twentieth birthday celebrations which were posted as an 'extra' and the
present 'November Reviews' include another 60 or so discs.  There is a
special feature on the Music of Carey Blyton and Gerald Fenech begins an
introduction to recorded Sibelius.  A number of the latest releases of
EMI's Great Recordings of the Century are also included in the November
posting.  We all have our favourites but one disc which has stood out for
me is Athene's coupling of the Dvorak Piano Concerto with that of Paul
Schoenfield's Four Parables.  It is the latter work that really grabbed my
attention with its Bartok, Bernstein and Gershwin influences.  I am sure
Ian Lace would like me to mention Wojciech Kilar's La Neuvieme Porte (The
Ninth Gate) which has been carried over from the Film Music reviews.  The
bargain of the month has to be the two-CD coupling of Dmitry Sitkovetsky's
recordings of the Prokofiev and the Shostakovich violin concertos on Virgin
Veritas with the discs being offered for 8.99 the pair.

SPECIAL OFFERS
We posted two special offers on the site for the discs reviewed in the
Chandos special and for all discs in the Great rcordings of the Century.
For technical reasons Crotchet are not able to update their database which
is being upgraded and these offers could not be incorporated.  The
introduction of these offers will be a little delayed so, in compensation,
they will now run to the end of December instead of November.  The details
of the SPECIAL OFFER will be:  Purchase two titles for a 5% discount.
Purchase 3 or more for a 10% discount.

Happy Listening

Len Mullenger
Webmaster for Music on the Web (UK)