From:
Len Mullenger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 05:45:51 -0000
CLASSICAL MUSIC ON THE WEB - CD REVIEWS
http://www.musicweb.uk.net/
THE DECEMBER EDITION

Rob Barnett - Classical Editor

The site goes from strength to new strength.  Have you noticed that we now
have a daily review page for CDs and live concerts?

In the run-up to Christmas we offer more than a hundred new reviews
covering the familiar and unfamiliar.

Among the reviews are the following highlights:- PAUL CONWAY's review of
the new Beamish orchestral disc; IAN LACE's reviews of a clutch of Honegger
discs and a book review. GERALD FENECH's Victor Bendix symphonies review.;
reviews of four discs of CRI's neglected catalogue of American classical
music, the MARCO POLO discs of symphonies by ALFRED HILL and the complete
orchestral works of IGOR MARKEVICH plus BMG's two 10 disc Mravinsky volumes
(many offered at 4.99). ... and major discoveries: two orchestral discs of
music by British composer WILL TODD and British song composer IAN VENABLES,
KEELING Hidden Streams, JEAN GUILLOU in Paris and on CD - extensive review,
comparative reviews of Nielsen Symphony No 2 with the launch of the new
cycle from Bostock and the Royal Liverpool Phil, other rarities include
OHANA, PIERUCCI, PIZZETTI, VAN ROSSUM, SCELSI, SKALKOTTAS, SMIT, STOKER, and
Donald SWANN's Isles of Greece (yes, of Flanders and Swann!) as well as our
review of Collegium's first recording in years - the successful ILLUMINA

We are offering for the first time on-line subscription to the Malcolm
Arnold Society.  If this is successful the offer will be extended to other
composer societies.

Also this month we offer biographies of Joseph Holbrooke, Sir Michael
Tippett and Matyas Seiber.  Do you have any requests for further composer
profiles?

Be sure also to visit our site around christmas time when we plan to
have a bumper release of reviews ready for you to read over the christmas
and new year break.  (that batch should include reviews of the RUBBRA
Symphonies on CHANDOS; HOLMBOE symphonies (BIS), SOWERBY on CEDILLE,
FREITAS BRANCO symphonies and concertos on PORTUSOM, GLAZUNOV cycle
(NAXOS), the complete (to date) AMERICAN CLASSICS series on NAXOS -
and much, much more)

YOU WILL LOOK IN VAIN FOR THIS DEPTH AND SPREAD OF COVERAGE ELSEWHERE.

SEEN&HEARD is our live concert and exhibition  review site.

The SEEN&HEARD team are currently  away at the   Huddersfield Contemporary
Music Festival
Recent reviews

Chausson Centenary Philippe Graffin (violin), Jeremy Menuhin (piano) and
the Chilingirian Quartet.  Wigmore Hall, 16 November 1999 Gluck Alceste
(Paris version, 1776) starring Anne Sophie van Otter, conducted by Sir
John Eliot Gardiner.  The Barbican, 26 October and Radio 3, 13 November
Cornelius Cardew:  Treatise (excerpt) Morton Feldman:  Why Patterns Music
Projects/London (Richard Bernas) BMIC at The Warehouse.  Thursday 11
November 1999 Artur Pizarro (piano) Copland, Gershwin, Griffes & Barber
Wigmore Hall, 12 November 1999 Mauricio Kagel Music of the Bizarre South
Bank Centre 13 Oct.  & 2 Nov.  '99.London Sinfonietta cond.  Oliver Knussen
and Reinbert de Leeuw, with soloists.  Musica Transalpina Celebration of
Italian Music at the Royal College of Organists Luigi Ferdinando Tagliavini
(5 & 6 November) and Francesco Cera (11 November) St Andrew's Church,
Holborn.  DVORAK CHAMBER MUSIC at Queen Elizabeth Hall 7 November 1999
Florestan Trio, Members of Vellinger Quartet etc., Helene Wold & Hilary
Summers (singers) with Eugene Asti (piano) John Corigliano:  A Dylan Thomas
Trilogy Royal Festival Hall, London, Saturday 6 November 1999, Patrick
Burrowes,treble John Daszak, tenor William Dazeley, baritone BBC Symphony
Chorus and Orchestra Leonard Slatkin, conductor City of London Sinfonia
(Richard Hickox, conductor) at the Barbican, November 6th 1999:  Nicholson
stramash; Osborne oboe concerto (Nicholas Daniel); Berkeley cello concerto;
Tavener the protecting veil (Steven Isserlis) BMIC at The Warehouse (the
cutting edge) Thursday 4th November 1999 Opus 20, director Scott Stroman:
Cashian, Keeling and Hameeniemi Galina Ustvolskaya and the Piano FIBONACCI
at St John's, Smith Square, November 2nd 1999

Len Mullenger
Webmaster for Music on the Web (UK)
www.musicweb.uk.net