From:
David Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:44:47 EST
Sylvia Wolfe wrote:

>Is there anybody out there who really likes serial music, and if so, can
>you put your finger on what it is that appeals? Just curious.

After reading Charles Rosen's latest book,"Critical Entertainments" I am
sure there are musicians and music lovers out there who adore serial music.
I am, so far at least, not among them.  But I'm willing to admit that it
must have some real appeal and is not merely "emperor's new clothes"
posing.

Having experienced Maurizio Pollini's rendition of Boulez's second piano
sonata, however, (courtesy of WHRO, one of the few stations that would play
such a thing) my conclusion was that it resembled nothing in my experience
more than a two-year-old discovering a piano for the first time.

David Simmons