From:
Satoshi Akima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:02:13 +1100
Nick Perovich writes:

>Whenever you write to say, "X's performances are fabulous," you should
>add, "I've also heard conductors Y, Z, S, T, etc.; these constitute my
>comparison class." For a set of the Wagner Overtures, BTW, I'd recommend
>the 2-CD set on EMI by Furtwaengler (EMI 7 649352), if it's still available
>(perhaps at Berkshire).  Of the collections I can remember listening to,
>I've heard Szell, Klemperer, Levine, and Barry Wordsworth.

Fair comment.

I agree that Furtwaengler is wonderful, except for the sound, which even
for this mono vintage compares unfavourably with other recordings by the
same artist.  I generally have found few recordings of Wagner concert
excerpts/overtures by Furtwaengler to be quite such essential listening
as his legacy in the mainstream symphonic repetoire.  There are wonderful
exceptions but they are things to discover later eg his early Bayreuth live
Tristan overture which I have not heard bettered.  That's why I'd stick to
the Klemperer as I recommended before.  The EMI Furtwaengler is also a 2 CD
set.

Although I have never been an admirer I have recently found myself warming
to some of Toscanini's recordings of Wagner.  Naxos have issued some
material but largely as fillers for other works.  The tempi are exaggerated
charicatures of 'Germanic heaviness' so that he often makes Knappertbusch
seem like a speed demon.  So much for the stereotype of Toscanini always
being fast.  But they are done with great conviction, so that you learn
new things about the music:  that alone justifies their existence.

As for Bruno Walter, when he is at his best his Wagner there is an alarming
intensity.  Just listen to his early mono Vienna Phil Act I 'Die Walkuere',
which must be one of the most alarmingly incandescent performances of
Wagner ever recorded.  It makes a great introduction to the Ring.  Asked
about the late Columbia Symphony recordings however my enthusiasm is more
mixed.  Some of the more commonly played excerpts/overtures are missing.
The highlight amongst them is the Parsifal Overture and Good Friday Music.
So I would still point people to the Klemperer which also has great
intensity while providing a better cross section of excerpts from Wagner's
ouevre.  I also prefer the playing of the Phiharmonia Orchestra as well as
the quality of the sound on the new 24-bit transfer by EMI.

I really do like George Szell's Wagner excerpts with the Cleveland
Orchestra sounding wonderful.  I wish Szell had recorded more Wagner.
It is also a great bargain on the Sony Essential Classics series.  It just
lacks that last bit of intensity of a Klemperer and Siegfried's Funeral
March lacks the earth shattering impact that Klemperer gives it.  The sound
quality on the transfer is also not as good either (a slightly coarse and
grainy 16-bit job).

Another conductor I would also like to mention is Pierre Boulez with
the New York Philharmonic.  I think he is at least as good as Szell.  I
marginally prefer Boulez to Szell in the Mastersinger's overture, although
other may disagree.  Sony have also used more sophisticated tranfer
technology ('Super Bit Mapping') so the CD sounds more flattering, although
that comes at a price.

Some other people recommended Mravinsky in Wagner.  I agree he is worth
a listen.  The sound of the Russian orchestra playing Wagner is most
'refreshing'.  Some would find the sound of the woodwind most peculiar
in this repetoire.  However some of the recordings by the Soviet sound
engineers are just shocking.  Still there is intensity and conviction.  So
once again this is something to hear later and does not displace Klemperer
as my first recommendation.

I notice that the Maazel Berlin 'Ring Ohne Worte' made an appearance
as a recommendation.  I actually do like it.  It would make also make a
great gift and introduction to the Ring.  The playing and recording are
certainly first class - much better than the more recent compilation of
excerpts/overtures by Maazel which should be avoided like the plague.
Excellent suggestion.

Thielemann of recent conductors also made a mention.  I agree he is
a talent, but still does not quite make it to the top of my list of
recommendations.  Until DG issues them in decent tranfers at a lower
price I would avoid both Boehm and Karajan.  One conductor I wish I could
recommend if I knew of a decent transfer is Kempe who always produces
something utterly magical with Wagner.  In a similar vein I would love to
hear more Wagner from Fritz Busch.  By way of constrast I do not think
either Sinopoli or Levine have any special insights to justify the
existence of their recordings.

Another essential Wagner collection to keep in mind is 'Les Introuvable
des Ring' from EMI France, although that is a 4 CD set.  Some of the
performances and recordings/transfers are breathtaking.  Much of the
recorded sound is absolutely top notch and demonstration quality.  And if
you didn't believe me when I wrote that Kempe is capable of things utterly
magical then here are excerpts of Das Rheingold that have to be heard to be
believed.  After this the Rainbow Bridge scene in Solti's overly praised
recording seems a complete anticlimax.  It includes some Furtwaengler
conducting Wagner as well.  The Klemperer Act I Die Walkuere is
breathtaking.  Then again we are probably getting way off the track here.

So to come back to the original post which asked for a recommendation for
a CD of Wagner overtures I once again would place Klemperer at the top of
my list.  The performances are stunning.  The recordings are stunning.
The transfers are excellent.  It is essential listening:

>CDM 7 63617 2:  Rienzi Overture; The Flying Dutchman Overture; Tannhauser
>Overture; Lohengrin - Preludes to Acts 1 and 3; Tristan and Isolde -
>Prelude and Liebestod.
>
>CDM 7 63618 2:  The Mastersingers of Nurenberg - Overture, Dance of the
>Apprentices and Entry of the Masters; Das Rheingold - Entry of the Gods
>into Valhalla; Die Walkure - The Ride of the Valkyries; Siegfried - Forest
>Murmurs; Goetterdaemmerung - Siegfried's Rhine Journey, Siegfried's Funeral
>March; Parsifal - Prelude.

Again if forced to pick I would go for the second of these two volumes.
Any comments Mats?

Satoshi Akima
Sydney, Australia