From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 16:11:54 -0500
Ulvi Yurtsever wrote:

>>I enjoy the Menuhin (cond.) recording with Julian Webber,

To which Tony Duggan replied:

>If you really want Enigma and Cello Concerto on the same disc this is the
>one to get.  I like Julian Lloyd Webber's concerto a lot and with Menhuin
>you have the last living link with Elgar himself still performing.

I second this.  (Actually, I guess I third it.) Two fine performances,
though neither is my favorite.  A very strong compromise, though.

Two other possibilities.

I have a Pye LP of these two with Barbirolli's first Enigma with Halle
and his first Cello Concerto with Navarra.  I don't care for the Enigma,
but I mention this because a lot of people like it very much (including
Gramophone).  I adore the Cello Concerto performance.  It may actually
be my favorite, though the sound is not first rate.  I'm guessing budget
is a consideration here, so it's probably not the way to go for just one
recording, and you probably aren't into LPs, but I thought I'd mention it.

A more reasonable possiblity is on Conifer.  Edward Downes conducts Enigma,
and Alexander Baillie is the cellist for the concerto.  The Enigma is very
well thought of in some quarters (and I've liked Downes' Elgar very much).
It's available from Berkshire which means I didn't pay much for it.  (I
can't recall how much.) Anyway, the problem here is I just got it this week
and haven't heard it yet, but I'll listen to it over the weekend and then
throw in my two cents about it.  It might be a viable alternative to
Menuhin if you want one.

And by the way, I'm not sure, but the Menuhin might be available at
Berkshire too. I doubt it, but you should check if you order from them.

Roger Hecht