From:
Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 15:37:32 -0400
In the discussion of Liszt's B minor Sonata, Len Mullenger reproduced
David Wright's review of Peter Katin's recording posted on Classical
Music on the Web last month.  From the review:

>There is no doubt that the Liszt Sonata is great music, one of the
>towering masterpieces of the piano repertoire.  And then, I hear people
>talk about some of Schubert's piano music being great as well, and while
>I do not wish to disparage the melodious Schubert, one cannot possibly use
>the same adjective fairly for, in so doing, injustice will be levelled at
>Liszt.

The patronizing tone ("the melodious Schubert") of this remark got my goat,
even though I assume that the author is not on the list and I believe that
it is good practice to steer clear of remarks that praise one composer at
the expense of another.  However, I couldn't help thinking about it as I
listened to a newly acquired recording of Schubert's D. 958 and D. 959
Piano Sonatas by Mitsuko Uchida.  I haven't heard all the recordings that
have been made of these sonatas, but I have heard several, and I am really
struck by these Uchida performances.  They are very dramatic and bold,
with some remarkable dynamic effects, and an attention to bringing out
the significance of details in the writing that I found most illuminating.
If this isn't "great" music, I don't know what is.  These performances
(particularly of the C minor Sonata) made a much bigger impression on me
than her other recordings in this series for Philips, and I'd recommend
them to anyone who finds the "melodious Schubert" comment as grotesque as
I did.

Nick