From:
Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 13:49:33 -0400
Chris Bonds wrote of Barenboim and Furtwaengler:

>I read someplace that B took some of his inspiration from F.  Certainly
>that could be the case but I seriously doubt he was ever a "pupil." I've
>never heard of it anyhow.

Barenboim played for Furtwaengler (I believe at Salzburg) when he
(Barenboim) was a youngster; there is even a photo extent showing
Barenboim, in short pants, standing with his family in front of
Furtwaengler.  My recollection is that Furtwaengler then wrote a
letter stating that "Daniel Barenboim is a phenomenon."

Barenboim belongs to a group of well-known performers who were young in
the 60's and 70's who were enormously impressed with the recordings they
acquired of Furtwaengler's performances.  I think most of the others have
moved on, but Barenboim still remains devoted and influenced and has (I
think) a picture of Furtwaengler in his home.  [Like many of us.:-)] Like
Chris, I don't often find the same satisfaction in Barenboim's recordings
that I do in Furtwaengler's, but listen to the tempo modification at the
end of the third movement of Barenboim's recording of Brahms' First
Symphony with the CSO: a much shorter term effect than many of
Furtwaengler's, but it sure works for me.

Nick