Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:40:22 -0600
?>  In taking a closer look at previously wintered blueboard pieces, I see
that some of the chewed indentations are substantial enough to noticeably
offset the insulating qualities of the blueboard (i.e. a gap of 3/8" all the
way to the edge of the blueboard)

I recommend encasing them in 6-mil UV resistant plastic or using a sheet of
such plastic under them.  A piece a little larger than the hive will shed
water in the same manner as a drip edge on a home roof directs the drip out
from the fascia.

Some people use plastic sheets, canvas or burlap under their lids rather
than the inner covers favoured by bee supply hoses and hobbyists.  These
options provide a better seal around the edge and protect the lids from burr
comb and in this case being chewed.