From:
Gordon Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 18:15:19 +0100
On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Tim Townsend wrote:

> Jim Wood wrote:
> >
> > I have recently obtained an old galvanised steel extractor and
> > settling tank. The steel is showing through the galvanising in
> > the extractor. Is there some sort of food-grade coating that I
> > could paint on .... that obviously would not flavour or poison
> > the honey.
>
> You can use an "approved" epoxy paint, just check with your
> paint supplier that it is a "food approved", paint and allow to
> air for a couple of weeks if possible, if you need it quicker
> used some forced air on it, to dry it and cure it quicker.

Epoxies use a chemical cure, so the forced air would do little
or nothing to help. Some heat definitely does help though,
so you could put it into a warming cabinet if you have a large
enough one. I would wait until the paint has gone firm before
warming in case it's a type containing a solvent that you won't
want in the warmer.

Epoxies usually leave a waxy residue on their surface after
they cure.  Clean this off as directed by the paint manufacturer,
or otherwise with celulose thinners.

Though it's pretty safe stuff, some people do sensitize to epoxy
in it's liquid form, so treat it with respect. Once cured it's
very stable & inert.  Keep both epoxy and celulose thinners
off your skin.

Gordon Scott   [log in to unmask]      [log in to unmask] (work)
The Basingstoke Beekeeper (newsletter)      [log in to unmask]
<A HREF="http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/apis">Embryo Home Page</A>
Beekeeper; Kendo 3rd Dan; Sometime sailor.  Hampshire, England.