From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 11:44:43 -0600
>From my experience when a strong hive will not take
feed and the feeder is crammed with dead bees you are looking at a high
nosema ceranae infestation (confirmed by seeing high spore counts ) but
spore counts due vary .
Like with sticky boards. If the boards are covered with mites no need to
count each mite.

and again, why do you feel that you do not have issues with nosema any
> more?

treating deadouts & regular fumagilin treatments.

low spore counts on random checks and the normal amount of dead bees in a
inside feeder. Bees taking syrup down overnight.

 Are you treating prophylactically?

Yes . My nosema issues are traced to California, my buying bees from other
operations
and combining with mine.

on the lighter side:
Please mention Bob Harrison when ordering. maybe I can get a price reduction
the next time I order?

 Still spraying combs with
> bleach?

Yes.

 Why do you feel that nosema problems have not returned to your
> operation?

Not sure as the only thing different was the bleach spray on ALL deadouts,
new comb and stopping the drench ( regular fumagilin treatments)

I bought the hives of Bellhill honey last year and bees out of Texas. My
bees were in *contact* with sick bees from Arkansas (which were fresh out of
California almonds). Also Olivarez package bees from California.

Preventing nosema is not possible today so controlling is the only solution
in my opinion.

There are still beekeepers which have never seen the advance stages of
nosema. bees not able to take feed is not a *described* symptom of CCD.
Severe nosema ceranae infestation is harder for me to detect in bee yards
which do not use feeders in which the bees can drown. I have put a inside
feeder in such hives to test and within 24 hours the feeder is plugged with
bees .

Medivet is well aware of the starving bees not able to take syrup from a
feeder  with severe nosema ceranae and came up with the drench.
The reason for the drench added to the label.

Personally I do not recommend the drench  today. Fumagilin sales are at
record levels I have been told. Dadant told me they had over 600 9.5 gram
bottles in stock in Illinois last fall.

bob