From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
INFORMED Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:02:58 +0900
>Can you give me more info. on G. Pyke. and why English Nature should be so
>influenced by him?  Where are his "Media releases" published?
>
>Sorry I don't know what CSIRO is.

CSIRO stands for Commonwealth Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation
which is a long established Australian Government research organisation
which has contributed greatly to research and development, many of their
discoveries being patented world-wide.

Graham Pyke's attacks on honeybees pre-date my beekeeping experience. I have
seen one newspaper report in South Australia which was promptly taken up by
the South Australian Apiarists Association and my information on Graham
Pyke's background is drawn from the Minutes of the Association.  I am sure
the Federal Association of Australian Apiarists would be very glad to
receive a copy of the article in question and would be the appropriate
representative of the apiary industry to raise the allegations with English
Nature.  They will be more aware of the background of the people involved.

I do not know if English Nature purports to be a scientifically based
publication.  It would be interesting to know if they submit proposed
articles to critical analysis or accept any hypothesis which their editorial
staff is in sympathy with.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island