From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 21:09:56 +0900
>Does anyone know of the work of Graham Pyke in Australia  and David Roubik &
>William Schaeffer in North America which raises concerns about the impact of
>honey bees on native wild bees?

Graham Pyke is known to apiarists in Australia as a campaigner against honey
bees on the grounds that they are not native species.  He is not employed in
research related to honeybees and apiarist associations challenge his media
releases on the basis of inaccuracies and exaggerations.  He is pursuing a
personal campaign against honeybees.

As far as pollination is concerned I put more faith in a C.S.I.R.O. research
report that eucalyptus species benefitted from pollination by honeybees,
with greater number of seeds and more weight per seed being measurable when
honey bees take the role of pollinator.

Dr. David Paton has conducted research for a number of years on feral bees
on Kangaroo Island and also the effect of honeybees on the population of
native pollinators in the Ngarkat Conservation Park (which was declared a
conservation site on the urging of beekeepers as a national resource). This
research was funded by the Conservation Council.  I have not seen a final
report on this but the initial conclusion was that no detrimental effect on
native pollinating species could be established.

 There has also been research conducted on whether honeybees compete for
nesting sites to the detriment of the Orange Bellied Parrot. This indicated
that the size of hollows preferred by honeybees was not suitable for the bird.

Honey bees are extremely effective pollinators.  The native bee and
Australian insects and birds that were the main pollination agency (apart
from wind) prior to introduction of  honey bees are less effective.  Birds
can migrate between nectar sources and eucalypts have evolved producing
massive amounts of nectar and pollen on cycles varying from annually to 20+
years.  This cyclical flowering is reflected amongst feral honeybees in that
hive numbers rise and fall over a period of years.  Potential nesting sites
that have been  occupied by bees are then colonised by birds or possums who
consume the larvae, honey and wax. This does not appear to be recognised by
the anti-bee campaigners who insist that 10% of all potential hollows are
invaded by bees each year, presumably denying the hollow to any other
occupants for all time.

Surveys by beekeepers indicate that of 100 potential nesting hollows in an
established eucalypt forest, 4 are occupied by birds.  (It is a little
harder to tell if possums are occupying hollows).

There are  moves for co-operation between conservationists and beekeepers to
address real problems by consultation and assistance.
Beekeepers are advising on artificial nest designs that are not attractive
to honeybee swarms, are trapping feral swarms and educating National Park
staff on the inter-action of honeybees and the flowering cycle.  Graham Pyke
is not a participant in this process.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island