From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 06:09:25 -0800
>Many beekeepers reported "CCD" without limiting to only colonies that fit
the original definition. As I understand it, the classic symptoms are
rarely encountered, while general colony collapse is exceedingly
widespread.
Can you clarify this?

I've discussed this issue and clarified terms involved at
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-18b-colony-collapse-revisited/

When I refer to CCD, I'm referring to the early definition--strong colonies
from which the adult population suddenly (in days) disappears, often
leaving brood behind, sometimes with a handful of bees and the queen.

>I could list several large commercial beekeepers (if needed )which tell me
> they believe CCD is a myth.
> Never saw a hive they could not find a reason for the demise.

Not clear on this Bob.  No one says that CCD doesn't have identifiable
causes.  CCD is a set of symptoms, not a cause.

> >beekeepers worked hard to eliminate virus by controlling varroa at
> extremely
> low levels and controlling nosema. Still the hive problems.

When you say "still the hive problems," are you referring to simple colony
overwintering mortality, or the CCD symptoms above?

> >What are we missing? What is the cause which causes a yard to crash
> (CCD) when a yard down the road ( CCD) is not affected?

Not sure that we're missing anything.

> >What can cause hives to crash within a couple weeks of checked as strong?

Either certain virus strains or nosema can do so, especially when colonies
are stressed by other factors.  However, there are clear signs in advance
of sudden collapse--unfortunately, many beekeepers are not aware of them,
and may miss them.

> >What causes bees to leave the hive and abandon brood?

This is well explained at
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-2-a-model-of-colony-collapse/

This model is well accepted by the CCD researchers with whom I've spoken.

> >To my knowledge the neonics have not been eliminated as a possible *cause*
> (trigger) as per the above dictionary definition.

Any number of pesticides or miticides could certainly be contributors in
that they stress the colony.  However, as hard as researchers all over the
world have tried, none have yet established any link between neonics and
sudden collapse, or even with colony wintering mortality.  On the other
hand, there are abundant research findings to the contrary.  This is not
any sort of sales pitch for neonics, simply a summary of research findings
to date.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA