From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:07:15 -0400
All this recent discussion reminded me of two matters mostly applicable to
those with more than a few hives:
A. At an ABF meeting 3 or so years ago, one of the speakers was from a
reasonably large operation in the upper Midwest that processes wax.  Mostly
for commercial beekeepers.  I recall him saying that the trade terms were
that the wax processor got to keep any honey, and "often" the weight of the
honey exceeded that of the wax!  He claimed that a gravity method collected
less than 50% of the honey in the cappings.  (At today's prices, does anyone
care?)  He said most "dry" cappings processed through a spinner still had
about 15% honey by weight.
B. While I think only Kelley still offers a wax press, cider presses are
still readily available from a number of sources and I wonder if they would
do the job of a wax press?

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com